I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Encouraging Words

Whenever I think the challenges of life are getting overwhelming, I am reminded of a quote from the play A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt. The play is about St. Thomas More and the events surrounding his fall from a place of influence in the court of Henry VIII and his subsequent martyrdom.

I do not know if the words are St. Thomas More's, or if Robert Bolt wrote them. From the little reading of St. Thomas that I have done, they sound like they are his own. I don't think Mr. Bolt would have written them - I am not really fond of some of his works.

Anyway, here is the quote:

God made the angels to show Him splendour – as He made the animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity.

But Man He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of his mind! If He suffers us to fall to such a case that there is no escaping, then we may stand to our tackle as best we can, and yes…then we may clamour like champions…if we have the spittle for it.

And no doubt it delights God to see splendour where he only looked for complexity.

But it’s God’s part, not our own, to bring ourselves to that extremity!

Our natural business lies in escaping….

I think that this means that there are times that God really wants to see us struggle, to use the gifts that he gave us, to accomplish whatever task He sets in front of us. He wants to see 'splendour' from us in all of our actions and thoughts.

My American English spell checker is going nuts with the English spelling of some of these words.

Have a Fabulous Freaky Friday.
No meat today. It's the only day I crave meat.

No comments:

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member