I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Monday, February 04, 2008

A Weekend of Sorrow and Blessing



Father James Downey, O.S.B., died January 29, 2008 at St. Benedict's Abbey, Atchison, KS.

We decided at about 1230 last Thursday that we should take a road trip to the funeral Mass on Saturday. So we took the youngest 8 children with us and spent the weekend on a pilgrimage, praying for the repose of the soul of Fr. James.

Please pray for him.

While up there, our nephew/godson's wife had a miscarriage very early on in her pregnancy. Nephew's family was even closer to Fr. Downey than we were, and so I am sure it was a double blow for Nephew and his lovely wife.

I have a dream, and it is only that, that somewhere in Heaven Fr. James is sitting in a rocking chair, smoking a pipe, and holding this little child of Nephew's.

It's only a dream, and I insist on repeating that you all pray for him.

May his soul, and all the souls of the faithful departed, rest in peace.

I shall put up a picture of Fr. Downey once I figure out what's wrong with the scanner....

I shall explain the 'blessing' part later.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

No, no, no!

I'm glad you went for the funeral. I'm glad you were there for the miscarriage. I'm awfully sad about both events.

Anonymous said...

I will pray for him.

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member