I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Scorpion-Hedgehog controversy heats up - literally

I had to send this via my cell phone PDA because someone is using the computer to Christmas shop.

Dear Readers:

Below are two notes sent to me by the parties involved in last week's scuffle during evening prayers:

Dear Mr. Dadwithnoisykids:

We scorpions are intellectuals, and while reading poetry to the noisykids to lullabize them to sleep, we discovered this note, which reflects the true opinion of hedgehogs through the ages:

You spotted snakes with double tongue,
Thorny hedge-hogs, be not seen;
Newts, and blind-worms, do no wrong;
Come not near our fairy queen.

From Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

It is obvious hedgehogs have always been nuisances.

Your friend,

Mr. Scorpion

Mr. Hedgehog replies:

Dear Mr. Dadwithnoisykids:
Thank you for the opportunity to reply to Mr. Scorpion's letter. I am pleased to see that Mr. Scorpion has found my favorite reference to hedgehogs in one of my favorite Shakespeare comedies. What amazes me more is that Mr. Scorpion can read.

Here are two famous quotes regarding hedgehogs which indicate the esteem that we hedgehogs receive:

The fox knows many things - the hedgehog one big one.

From Archilochus

and....

Sir Isaiah Berlin's commentary on Archilochus:

There exists a great chasm between those, on the one side, who relate everything to a single central vision...and, on the other side, those who pursue many ends, often unrelated and even contradictory...the first kind of intellectual and artistic personality belongs to the hedgehogs, the second to the foxes.

Intellectual and artistic personality are synonymous with hedgehog.

With warmest regards,

Mr. Hedgehog

No comments:

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member