I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Public Service Announcement





Even in the midst of sorrow, the sun still shines, my living children play and make me laugh, and Pope Benedict XVI comes to the United States.

We put this quote on some of the holy cards we made for Theodore's funeral:

“If God gives you an abundant harvest of trials, it is a sign of the great holiness to which He desires you to attain.

Do you want to become a great saint?

Ask God to send you many sufferings. The flame of divine love never rises higher than when fed with the wood of the cross, which the infinite charity of the Savior uses to finish His sacrifice.

All the pleasures of the world are nothing compared with the sweetness found in the gall and vinegar offered to Jesus Christ; that is, hard and painful things endured for Jesus Christ and with Jesus Christ.”


- from the Maxims of St. Ignatius of Loyola

I didn't ask for this suffering, but I thank God for it, because right HERE is where He wants me to be.

My thoughts alternate between a bittersweet exhilaration of knowing that only God could sustain us through this time of sorrow - actually He sustains us all time time anyways - and feelings of such sadness for the loss of Theodore.

I even wrote some 'Bad Poetry' about it, but I can't find it on my desk.

I updated my Curriculum Vitae the other day, and had to change the number of children from twelve to eleven.

Work is hard, because as an anesthesiologist, I render patients unconscious and then wake them up again. In the extreme, that is what I tried to do with Theodore. People at work have been very nice. One of my co-workers mentioned that what I am experiencing will help me appreciate what the parents of my patients are going through. I can only hope.

People have put condolence cards in my briefcase(some call it a 'man purse') while I am not in my room.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for the quote and the most beautiful column for today---a great solace to many including myself.
Today I saw Pope Benedict visiting with disabled children and since I have one myself I just cried and cried.
The day my son with Downs was born (my 13th child) I told my husband--we have a saint.
Now your saint child is in Heaven right in the arms of his Heavenly Father waiting for you and watching over you.If he could speak to you he would tell you to dry your tears and rejoice over his incredible happiness which we shall hopefully all partake in when every tear will be wiped away for eternity.

Diane S.

Easter Almuena said...

Diane S., my dear lovely friend, such inspiring words for everyone! I am so happy to "see" you here.

dadwithnoisykids, the joy and laughter of Theodore are now eternal and he longs exactly those for you, his loving mother and his siblings. "In heaven", were the last words of St. Therese's father to her.

We are here with you... in laughter, in sadness and in joy.

Anonymous said...

Our family is praying for all of you, and know that only the grace of your precious faith will get you through this time. If it is any consolation, I ask for Theodore's intercession often for our teenage son who is 15, who I have a difficulty getting along with. May God continue to bless your amazing family. +JMJ+

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member