I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sad News

Last night, Fr. James, OSB, one of the 'Adopt a Religious' on the sidebar, died in his sleep. He was 87 years old.



I had the honor of knowing Fr. James while we lived in Michigan. I recall one Ash Wednesday, while I was in residency and on call, he invited me to serve at his Mass at 5:30 in the morning. It was such a blessing to celebrate Mass with such a good priest. I recall working all day long, knowing that I had started the day by receiving Our Lord, and wishing I could do that more often.



Fr. James was one of the few people who called me for medical advice. On one occasion, he shared with me some of the thoughts he had about suffering, giving me a better insight into what the sick experience. He mentioned that, along with the physical suffering, there is a certain amount of humiliation that comes with pain. I had never thought how my patients' sufferings extended beyond the physical aspect. Perhaps that comment from a priest in pain has given me an added bit of compassion for those who suffer.



Fr. James always referred to me as 'his doctor' after that.



Please pray for the repose of the soul of Fr. James, OSB, a good priest and our friend.



Eternal rest grant unto him, Oh Lord, and may Perpetual Light shine upon him.



May his soul, and all the souls of the faithful departed, rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member