I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Monday, November 26, 2007

Pre-Advent Meditation

This past weekend was lived without the benefit of the internet.



Sorry, Al Gore.



Having my two year old daughter read a book to ME was far more enjoyable than the best article on the web.



I read an article in First Things, which I shall try to link here(well, part of the article - you have to subscribe to read the whole thing). The author, Joseph Bottum, discusses how the secular holidays have overtaken the Holy Days that are near them. There is no better example of this than Christmas, and here in Dallas Christmas music has been playing nonstop on one radio station since November 1st.



Mr. Bottum makes the argument that all of this hoopla takes all the enjoyment out of the actual celebration. For too many people, by the time Christmas arrives, they are ready for it to be over. These are likely the ones who have their Christmas tree down at the end of the driveway on the night of December 25. Unfortunately we Catholics run the risk of getting tired of Christmas even before it has started.



So I propose that this Advent I will try to keep Advent faithfully, in order to try to create some of that longing for Christ our Savior in my heart - the kind that is expressed in the readings at Mass and in the Liturgy of the Hours. Advent is time to feel the longing that the Prophets had, and that we have lost by taking Our Savior for granted.



Practically speaking this means that Scorpion Stalking Duck will refrain from those frivolous videos which I loved so much. Instead, I shall try to publish serious spiritual pieces.



But don't hold your breath....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Advent in our house rather than Christmas..

Anonymous said...

i award you the 'Emmanuel' Award..over at my blog..

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member