I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Friday, January 12, 2007

Still working on humility

Humility of Heart: by Fr. Cajetan de Bergamo

This is the book that I really have fallen asleep reading all this week.

I have some preliminary thoughts about this book. One is that I have to resist the urge to quit blogging, since my blog really is nothing more than a public display of self-love which does nothing to help me become humble of heart.

The other is the realization that this book, written in the 1600's, translated by an archbishop in the waning days of his life in the 1800's, and given to me for Christmas by Saint Nicholas - all of these events, spanning over centuries, have fallen into place for Divine Providence to work in a special way:

It is obvious that God wants me to blog on this book for YOUR edification.

Now re-read my first thought on this book again!

Seriously, the book is full of literally humbling meditations, and I will share with you the first one, one which hit me squarely between the eyes like a baseball bat:

In Paradise there are many saints who never gave alms on earth: their poverty justified them. There are many saints who never mortified their bodies by fasting or wearing hair shirts: their bodily infirmities excused them. There are many saints too who were not virgins: their vocation was otherwise. But in Paradise there is no saint who is not humble. (#1)

Ouch. Now you could see why this book makes me think of discontinuing the blog.

No comments:

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member