I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Friday, February 19, 2010

Re-Boarded


When I initially became a Diplomate of the American Board of Anesthesiology back in 1996, I was 'Certified Indefinitely,' meaning that I did not need to repeat the process for certification in anesthesiology ever again.

In 2000, the status of indefinite certification was eliminated, and all anesthesiologists have had to re-test for board certification every 10 years.

For many reasons, I decided to take the re-certification exam in December. It was less stressful than the original process: a day-long exam followed a year later with an oral exam in front of some of the brightest minds in the field. I recall one of my stem questions was on an obstetrical patient, and the other was on an elderly patient with laryngeal cancer - typical patients for a pediatric anesthesiologist. Instead the re-certification exam was computer-based and took less than four hours.

Thanks be to God, I passed. While I am still certified indefinitely, I now can demonstrate that 15 years after finishing my training I still have enough knowledge of the basics to continue in my profession.

Of course, I prefer to limit my patients to those a lot lighter, younger, and healthier than me.

1 comment:

MightyMom said...

how wonderful! I'd hate to have to retake my RN boards now....10 years later.

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member