I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Bonfire



First, we made a pile of brush.

This took more than a year; in fact, some of the wood in this pile was cut when we were building the house back in 2003. One pile of wood was left near our neighbor's house, so we had to haul that pile onto the back part of our property so we wouldn't smoke Mr. and Mrs. L. out.

The rest of the wood was collected from various projects on our land, from one end to the other.

Then I waited for the right time. Since this pile was completed in the Summer of 2008, I planned on burning it during the rainy season, some time in November, in North Texas. God had other plans, since we did not have much rain for the remainder of 2008 up until this March. I had to wait for the burn ban to lift.

I also wanted to burn this pile on a day when I had no other obligations(i.e., no call), and the weather consisted of drizzles with not much wind. So after a late start on mowing the grass, we got rained out, and that is when the boys started pushing for a bonfire. I am a pushover for setting things on fire.

To be on the safe side, I called the sheriff's office to verify that the burn ban was lifted. Not only was it lifted, but the nice lady on the phone took my name and number so they could reassure anyone who called to report a fire that it was just a bunch of right wing nut jobs clinging to their guns and religion. More importantly, they would not send the fire/rescue folks unless I called them.

This is probably far more information than you wanted to read about a bonfire in North Texas. So, without further ado, here are three videos of the brush pile/bonfire:




Then today, between torrents of rain, we set fire to said brush pile:



Within a short time, the pile was reduced to coals, which would have been great for a barbecue. All of us were standing around the fire at 3 o'clock, so Max led the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.



When the fire was reduced to a pile about two feet tall and five feet in diameter, the heavens opened up and soaked us(and the fire). It was as if God was telling us that we had had enough fun for the day and it was time to make dinner.

Some of you might think that a better way to eradicate this pile of wood should have been used. I did think about that, and I came to the conclusion that this was the best way to minimize the ecological impact of clearing the brush. Any other way, be it shredding or carting it away, would have used up far more gasoline than what was used here; besides, moving the pile would have just made it someone else's problem.

Now to go hug some trees....


The fire inspired me to write some bad poetry. What could be more romantic than a brush fire in your back yard, and a Haiku to go along with the occasion? Basho would be proud. Read on:

Like this here bonfire
I am consumed with a love
for you, not Haiku.

SMD
5.2.2009

No comments:

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member