I invite you to sign The Manhattan Declaration

The Manhattan Declaration

Theodore's Memorial Video

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ex Armariolo Impiliorum (was Ex Sock Insum)




I think that means 'from the sock drawer,' which is where these creatures have been living lately. If my poor translation has offended, let me know.

UPDATE: HISTOR THE WISE HAS CORRECTED MY POOR LATIN.



Life has been very busy this Summer, with work taking up most of the days. Today I got home in time to work on the lawn, and it rained as soon as I arrived.




Speaking of land....I apparently own another 0.3 acres. I am not sure where it is - I have to check that out - but it must be real because I got billed for three years back taxes. I owe $1.85!! I love land with an agricultural exemption.




I have been reading The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. In the course of the book, Mr. Toad is offered a plate of 'bubble and squeak.' The odor of cabbage revives Toad's spirits. So I had to look it up at work today. One of my partners was looking over my shoulder as I did this before work began, and he suggested I look up 'bangers and mash' and 'haggis.' Next we looked up 'chorizo' and 'scrapple.'




I have memories, not really fond ones, of my parents getting scrapple from Philadelphia. Apparently scrapple is big in Philadelphia, where both my parents grew up.




Perhaps the Philly Steak and Cheese Sandwich was invented to make reparation for scrapple.




My mother would start with a block of raw scrapple in a frying pan, and in about an hour the scrapple would be shrunken down to the size of a matchbox, floating in a pond of grease. Yum.




Blogging has been at a minimum for two reasons: one is that I am busy. The other is that for 15 days in June I conducted an experiment in blogging. Without telling anyone at first, I made a commitment to STOP BLOGGING whenever my wife or children wanted my attention. I noticed my blogging dropped to an all time low, but I was more involved with my family. I like that.


So my blogging is less than it was before. I am reminded of some lines in the play A Man for All Seasons, by Robert Bolt. St. Thomas More advises Rich to become a teacher. He mentions that he might be a great teacher. Rich replies:
"And if I was who would know?"
More responds with words I take to heart:
"You, your pupils, your friends, God. Not a bad public, that...."
There won't be as many blog entries, and you will not read as much about the Noisykids as you have in the past. But the sun and moon doesn't revolve around us anyways.
It does revolve around me.
Check this out:




I like Rachmaninoff. Enjoy!

2 comments:

antonia said...

hehe! bubble and squeak!

:-)

You'd have to be English to know that!

and I have zero idea what scrapple is!


Your experiment sounds like a good one.
Your child will only be young once!

God Bless

Anonymous said...

More time with the kids! Now there's a thought!

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation
Now restored with the help of some cement!

Prayer to Our Lady of the Mysterious Decapitation

Mary my mother, take my hand today, and all days.
Lead me away from all occasions of sin.
Guide me in fulfilling your last words in the Gospel,
"Do whatever He tells you."
Amen.

I am An Amateur Catholic Blogger!

Amateur Catholic B-Team Member